I have always had a desire to study overseas. I was set to embark on my undergraduate studies in the UK in the autumn of 2007. However, unforeseen circumstances held me back in Singapore. My resolve to study in the UK has not wavered. I believe the academic and non-academic experience I have since gained make me an even stronger candidate for a British undergraduate education now.
In the past year, I have attended two courses at Harvard University's Summer School, received an Advanced Certificate of Theology from Oral Roberts University, and completed one academic year at the National University of Singapore. Reading theology not only affirmed my faith, it taught me to relate to people and get along better with them. As such, I have become a stronger team player. The module on homiletics trained me to be an eloquent and engaging speaker. I have been invited to give talks to youth audiences on a variety of topics, ranging from studies to relationships to financial management. I believe these skills will not just help me in my academic pursuits, but also in my career advancement in future.
Attending Summer School at Harvard University earlier this year has affirmed my aspirations to study overseas. Not only have I proven that I can live independently, I have also demonstrated that I can thrive in a foreign environment. I took the full course load and read two modules, namely "Colonialism in Africa" and "The International Economy and Business". I obtained an A grade for both. More than the results, the courses have further fuelled my passion for economics and politics, making me more determined to pursue them at a higher level.
My research interest now lies in the International Political Economy. Specifically, in my opinion, there are four keys that can unlock a better world for future generations. They are elimination of third world debt, proliferation of education as the means to break out of the poverty trap, eradication of corruption in governments and international organisations, and the removal of tariffs in international trade. Above the scope of what is required of me in my undergraduate studies, I would like to do further research into these areas. I believe the strong academic environment in the UK would provide me with the right milieu to excel.
I am a firm believer in helping the less fortunate in society. One of the most rewarding experiences for me was a social-enterprise I was involved in last year. The project aimed to help terminally ill youth. Rather than simply raise money for them, our committee decided to empower them. Hence, we involved them in the recording of a music album, which we marketed and sold to great success. Within one short month, we raised more than S$14,000 in revenue. Beyond that, we also fulfilled the dreams of various terminally ill youth to record a music album.
Possessing an entrepreneurial spirit, I set up my own freelance business, Avant Garde Enterprises in 2005. I have managed events like annual general meetings, weddings and parties; conducted youth seminars and written for publications like Singapore's flagship newspaper The Straits Times. I gave Economics tuition to A Level students, commanding up to three times the market rate for tutors due to my effectiveness. These ventures have helped me to expand my resourcefulness and creativity.
I believe that my academic and non-academic experiences make me a well-rounded individual. I am confident that I will be a valuable asset who can add to any college I study in, and any organisation I work with in future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment