Saturday, July 18, 2009

a weekend of decadence :)

Typed onboard Singapore Airlines flight SQ835, Shanghai to Singapore, 17 July 2009.

I love Singapore Airlines. There is no other. Service is tip tip tip top. Food is delicious. I feel safe flying Singapore Airlines. Except for the Singaporeans. Haha. I generally like Singaporeans who are older. But the just-out-of-teenage bunch around me who are blaring Singlish loudly are annoying the crap out of me. They represent the Singapore I don’t like. The plebian side of Singapore.

But other than that, I’m really looking forward to returning to Singapore. It was Darian’s winning argument. A weekend of decadence tempted me beyond resistance. Coupled with Derrick and Ruxin’s wedding, I really couldn’t say no to going back. Landing in Singapore at 1235am on Saturday and leaving at 1am on Monday. 48 hours in Singapore. This is indeed the jetsetting, globetrotting life that I always imagined. More on that later.

I’m really excited about the weekend. It starts early with Darian. To the spa, then to a big lunch, then to KTV for a shameless session of singing. Spa is my ultimate indulgence. Lunch at Asia Grand is never ever a letdown. Singing is going to be so wonderful because it’s just the both of us so we can sing crazy songs that we won’t ordinarily do with others around for the fear of embarrassment. Sitting on the plane, I can barely contain my excitement! For persuading me to take this trip back, THANK YOU DARIAN! But I’m still terribly offended that you did not keep up to your promise of coming to Shanghai. Deeply offended!

Following the decadent day comes the fairy tale night. Derrick and Ruxin are probably one of the sweetest, funniest and best-looking couples I know. I really haven’t known them properly for very long. But for the short time I’ve known them, they’ve always been so nice to me. Ruxin inspired me to go to bible school (for those of you who want to know the story, ask me, she can’t even remember). Derrick actually showed me what a true gentlemen was (yes guys, it’s true, believe it!). They constitute the rare instance whereby I would let Singlish into my life. Hahahahaha!!! Oops. Sorry guys. Congratulations on your wedding day. I know the both of you will be very happy together.

Following the wedding, no trip back to Singapore would be complete without supper with Sebastian! Sebastian promised to treat me to giant prawns at Newton and I intend to hold him to that. I definitely want to have a go at the sambal stingray, sambal kai lan etc. Chilli? Bring it on! Four months in Beijing and I’m practically addicted to chilli and immune to its spice.

Guess what I have planned for Sunday. Is there even a need to? I’m going to church! I miss church so bad. I can’t wait to go for service. Can’t wait to hear Pastor Kong preach. Can’t wait to meet the people in church. I’m excited just thinking about it!

Following church, I have time for a quick family dinner before I get back to Changi and head back to Shanghai. Work as usual on Monday, It’ll be a busy week as my supervisor and I are organizing a training course.

It’ll be great!

-updated-
the flight encountered the worst turbulence i have ever experienced while i was typing this entry. it was horrifying. i closed my laptop, hugged it, and said a prayer. amazingly, i fell asleep, only to wake up with the plane hitting the ground. :)

No comments: